If you are to effectively search online for work at home opportunities you will need to use the correct keywords. You can’t focus your search in one place, and yet the various job boards use different key words for work from home opportunities. One may use the word “remote” another “telecommute” and yet another “virtual.”
You can use the keywords in general searches or even in the searches of specialized boards. It may also be a good idea to try out the different key words, experimenting with each one and seeing what comes up. Here are some great keywords to consider for a work at home job search:
Most Common Keywords
- Work at home/Work from home – These keywords are by far the most common keywords that most people most often use. Search engines will bring up the same results for these two because the words “at” and “from” are usually ignored. However, there are some databases that will bring up a different set of results when you key in these key word phrases separately. These are very popular phrases. You may also want to try “work-at-home.”
- Remote – This is not a very common keyword for home based positions. It is still quite frequently used and may come paired with other words such as position or office. Search for the word “remote” but don’t be surprised if “remote position” and “remote office” come up too.
- Home based – This one is also not as popular as work at home. You should try it though and be sure to use the hyphen when searching so that it reads “home-based.” You can try it without the hyphen as well and see what comes up.
- Telecommute – This is one of the more popular keywords. Many legitimate employers will either use ‘work at home’ or ‘telecommute.’ If you are looking to be employed then telecommute is the word to use. However, if you are looking to set up a business then ‘work at home’ is ideal.
- Virtual – Virtual is not a common key word neither is it as popular as “work at home” or “telecommute.” This does not mean that it will not bring up a response so go for it. Again you can expect to see it paired with the words position and office to read “virtual position” or “virtual office.”
- Freelance – it is important to note that not every freelance position is a work at home opportunity. Even though the majority are, many are not. This word works really well for someone who prefers to work contracts and is very good at what he or she does. You can try the words “freelancing” and “freelance” to give you the opportunities you are looking for.
Popular Keyword Combinations for Searching Jobs
- ” Work from Home” + ” Customer Service”
- “Virtual + office”
- “Remote + position”
- “Freelance” + “Writing”
- “work at home” + “customer service”
- “telecommute” + “position”
- “virtual” + “customer service”
- “work at home” + “agent”
- “home-based” + “customer service”
- “telecommuting” + “customer service”
- “independent” + “home agent”
Most Common Places To Search Jobs Online
- FlexJobs (www.flexjobs.com)
- Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- Career Builder (www.careerbuilder.com)
- Monster Jobs (www.monster.com)
- Simply Hired (www.simplyhired.com)
Try blending any of these keywords to maximize your work at home job search. Good luck to everyone!.
Need more guidance? Check out this list of work at home resources for job seekers, freelancers, and career professionals.